Dessert is always the killer at parties. I watch people do soooo well during the meal- ordering something they won't regret later, loading their plate with veggies and making sure they don't overeat...and then the dessert options come along.
I know some people think fruit is a lame dessert, but seriously it's a sweet food and it CAN be dessert. Especially for those people that are trying to EAT CLEAN & AVOID ADDITIONAL SUGAR. I love being able to leave a party/get together/event knowing that I ate a healthy, nutrient dense meal.
Here's what I made Sunday to bring to a family gathering; it sat on a table next to 4 different sugary pies, but I'm happy to say that it was A LITTLE MORE THAN HALF gone. I love knowing that some people got in an extra serving of fruit and maybe stuck to their nutrition goals on a holiday.
Paleo/Gluten Free/Nutrient Packed Watermelon & Fruit "CAKE"
1 whole watermelon
1-2 C strawberries & blackberries (or any of your favorites)
2 cans FULL FAT coconut milk *(put in the refrigerator a few hours before you plan on making the dish) **Before anyone gets scared of the term "full fat," coconut milk fat is GOOD for you.
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sweetener of your choice if you want :) (but you don't need it)
Let's get started...
1. Open up your COLD cans of FULL FAT coconut milk. There will be a solid portion on top and the coconut water portion on the bottom. CAREFULLY scoop out the full fat milk and place into a separate bowl; this is the portion that we will use for the "whipped topping." You can save the coconut water to drink later (YUM), or discard if you don't want it. I used this coconut milk this time...
2. Take a whisk and start to whip your coconut milk into a "cream." Once you feel like it almost smooth, add in the vanilla and continue to whisk. You can try it now to see if you want to add a sweetener of your choice (but I would try to keep it clean). Place into the refrigerator until we are ready to frost.
3. "Skin" the watermelon (after you've washed it well) and cut into 2 "cake rounds." I was able to get 2 from a medium sized watermelon. This left a lot of leftovers from what I didn't need for the actual cake (even better for snacking later).
4. Wash off your berries of choice. I used organic strawberries and organic blackberries and they were DELICIOUS. Always try to get organic berries- remember they are on the Dirty Dozen list (check it out here), the most contaminated fruits/veggies when grown conventionally. Let them dry and cut them up as needed. You want to make sure they are dry before you place them on your cake.
5. Now it's time to make the cake. I would not frost and complete it until YOU ARE ALMOST READY TO SERVE. I frosted mine ~1 hour prior to service and it all held together well. Take your whipped coconut topping and frost your watermelon cake pieces. I would be careful, don't put it on too heavy. Then simply cover with your berries and serve!
You can see someone stole some coconut cream (it was an adult not a child). I would recommend not telling people this is watermelon and just let them cut it open to see for themselves ;)
I plan on making this all summer long! It's Paleo, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Free and HEALTHY.